DJI have slipped in a new product offering, a Care Plan for its Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 Range of quadcopters.
Although this is not directly Osmo relates, its likely, if the service is popular DJI will extend it to other products in the future. The care plans come in two variants, 6 months and 1 year. The Phantom 3 Professional 1 Year Plan is $279 or $189 for 6 months.[table “4” not found /]
The care plan does come with some conditions like no cover for moving water damage or if its lost. Overall its about time DJI brought out this type of service for their products.
Some commentators have compared this offer from DJI to Apple’s AppleCare, I don’t quite see it. There is far more small print to this that what Apple does. For example, DJI will consider a percentage factor to how damaged the UAV is before giving replacements. DJI consider a total loss to be damage of more than 80%. Also if, on a 6 months plan, you total the drone with 30 days or fewer left you’ll be given either the remaining coverage amount or 80 percent of the purchase price, whichever is lower ( 60 days on a 1 year plan ). This is not like AppleCare.
See here for more info – http://www.dji.com/support/djicare
Damages due to the following reasons are not covered by DJI Care:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft and accessories.
2) Stolen or abandoned aircraft and accessories.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable flight conditions.
4) Any repair fees resulting from or following water damage.
5) Repair fees for battery, propellers, remote controller or other accessories.
6) Deliberate losses.
7) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the aircraft.
8) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
9) Repair requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
10) Indirect loss and/or anticipated profit in any form.
11) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
12) Personal injury and/or property loss to the customer or any other people caused by the aircraft.
13) Any legal fees related to DJI Care’s warranty coverage.